Entry from British & World English dictionary
More definitions of uitlanderDefinition of uitlander in:
- The British & World English dictionary
nounSouth African • historical
- A British immigrant living in the Transvaal who was denied citizenship by the Boers for cultural and economic reasons.More example sentences
- An attempt by Dr Jameson, a crony of Rhodes, to encourage a rising by the Uitlanders (the British in the Transvaal without political rights) failed in 1896.
- Meanwhile, the British government had been putting pressure on the Transvaal to deal with the ongoing grievances of the Uitlanders.
- He writes in his book: ‘It would have been easy, Milner later confessed to his intimates, to patch things up with Kruger, and settle those difficulties with the Uitlanders in a Great Deal that could have lasted five, ten or fifteen years.’
Afrikaans, from Dutch uit 'out' + land 'land'.