Definition of ultimate in English:
- Some councillors stressed that the decision was not final and the ultimate decision would rest with tenants themselves when a ballot took place.
- The ultimate decision could lie with the ABA and the lottery funding and sponsorship deals they can come up with.
- Drought leads to water deficit in the leaf tissue, which affects many physiological processes and can have ultimate consequences for plant growth and survival.
- Rowing is called the ultimate team sport because going fast requires everyone's complete commitment to the crew.
- Football is the ultimate team sport; each player must execute his responsibilities for a play to succeed.
- Standing at 15,2 hands, the three-year-old was awarded the ultimate accolade and crowned supreme champion of the show.
- Social atomism sees individual people as the fundamental particles, autonomous ultimate units in full charge of their destiny, empowered to make contracts freely.
- What are the ultimate constituents of matter the most elementary of elementary particles?
- Many scholastic and Cartesian thinkers had assumed substances to be the ultimate constituents of reality, and, as such, self-dependent.
- It responds to heat treatment on the improved permanent set stress and ultimate strength with some loss of elongation.
- After the initial impacts, the most heavily loaded columns were probably near, but not over, their ultimate capacities.
- Also it can be seen that the smaller diameter raft has reached to its ultimate capacity at smaller settlement than that of the raft of larger diameter.
nounBack to top
- She was, of course, overjoyed that the film she had worked on was achieving the ultimate in mainstream international recognition.
- With all that physical toiling in the fresh air one could be forgiven for imagining farming was the ultimate in healthy occupations.
- One is the ultimate fantasy, the other the ultimate in human achievement.
- He derived his propositional view of reality and his ‘pluralism without ultimates ' from classical sources and his own extended critical reflections on Alexander, Hegel, and Marx, particularly the latter.
- But that doesn't diminish its status as an ultimate in technology.
- Indian philosophy accepts only intuition as the method through which the ultimate can be known.
- Example sentences
- But like any other principle claiming ultimacy, it is nothing but a phantasm - a mere assumption, an assertion, a claim - one which reigns supreme simply due to its success in excluding other, competing claims.
- In this revolutionary rendering of the ultimacy of human being and the human world is born the spirit of absolutism, the soul of ultra-modernist culture.
- I am thinking, for example, of the way he talks about ultimacy: ‘The likeliest path to the ultimate ground,’ he says, ‘leads through my local ground.’
Mid 17th century: from late Latin ultimatus, past participle of ultimare 'come to an end'.
Ultimate is from Latin ultimus ‘last’. The ultimate meaning ‘the last word’ (the ultimate in fashion) dates from the late 17th century. Penultimate (late 17th century) is paene ‘almost’ and ultimus.
Words that rhyme with ultimatepenultimate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.