adjective & adverbLaw
- Beyond one’s legal power or authority: [as adjective]: jurisdictional errors render the decision ultra viresMore example sentences
- As a result, a taxpayer who has made a payment pursuant to ultra vires legislation has a right to restitution.
- It is not suggested that Byelaw 20 was itself ultra vires the powers which the primary legislation conferred upon the British Railways Board.
- An ultra vires act is one beyond the purposes or powers of a corporation.
Latin, literally 'beyond the powers'.
More definitions of ultra viresDefinition of ultra vires in:
- The British & World English dictionary