Definition of ultramontane in English:
1Advocating supreme papal authority in matters of faith and discipline. Compare with Gallican.
- Any priest who thinks he can dictate the political choices of his parishioners is living an ultramontane fantasy.
- The new immigrants and these ultramontane clerics who came to serve them overwhelmed the small, relatively Americanized Catholic Church they found here.
- Weigel's ultramontane effusions about John Paul II are warmly endorsed.
2Situated on the other side of the Alps from the point of view of the speaker.
- The sun fell blinding white on the snowfields, and the dancing breeze swept ice crystals down from ultramontane glaciers.
- These opinions were in opposition to the ideas which were called ultramontane.
- Shatili is the best protected from ultramontane Khevsrian monuments.
nounBack to top
A person advocating supreme papal authority.
- A second and related set of tensions divided Gallicans, who insisted on the independence of the national Church, and ultramontanes, who were more respectful of papal authority.
- You know what the categories are - ultramontane, gallican, liberal, integriste, laicite, anticlerical, etc. - they were virtually invented here, and they never change.
- The so-called ultramontanes believed that the state should serve as the secular arm of the Church and enforce its monopoly of the truth against all rival ideologies.
- Example sentences
- But Milner's Catholicism was no mere ivory-tower ultramontanism.
- The support for Mary, a universal saint, may sometimes have been at the expense of local cults, making Marian devotions a central element in the progress of ultramontanism.
- To do this, he needed to single out the Catholics as being guilty of separatism and ultramontanism.
Definition of ultramontane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan