A flower cluster in which stalks of nearly equal length spring from a common center and form a flat or curved surface, characteristic of the parsley family.
More example sentences
- During field harvest, each plant was separated into leaves (blade + petiole), roots, stems, and umbels (pedicels + rays + flowers/fruits).
- It is traditionally classified alongside Bupleurum, differentiated by its white flowers, sessile umbels, and conspicuous calyx teeth, and the lack of bracteoles and of a carpophore (mericarps do not separate).
- Plants produce one or more stems bearing umbels of 10-25 greenishwhite flowers (Shannon and Wyatt 1986a).
- More example sentences
- Agapanthus is a very variable genus, yet they are all broadly similar in appearance, with rhizomatous roots, strap-like leaves and an umbellate inflorescence on a stalk held above the leaves.
- These are blooming on small plants with 3’ long umbellate flowers heavily spotted with red-maroon, with a red-purple lip.
- When conditions are favorable the plant produces a single, thick stem that contains hundreds of yellow umbellate flowers producing numerous seeds per umbellate.
Pronunciation: /ˈəmbəlit, -ˌlāt, ˌəmˈbelit/adjective
Definition of umbel in:
- The British & World English dictionary