Definition of umbel in English:
A flower cluster in which stalks of nearly equal length spring from a common center and form a flat or curved surface, characteristic of the parsley family.
- During field harvest, each plant was separated into leaves (blade + petiole), roots, stems, and umbels (pedicels + rays + flowers/fruits).
- It is traditionally classified alongside Bupleurum, differentiated by its white flowers, sessile umbels, and conspicuous calyx teeth, and the lack of bracteoles and of a carpophore (mericarps do not separate).
- Plants produce one or more stems bearing umbels of 10-25 greenishwhite flowers (Shannon and Wyatt 1986a).
- Example sentences
- Agapanthus is a very variable genus, yet they are all broadly similar in appearance, with rhizomatous roots, strap-like leaves and an umbellate inflorescence on a stalk held above the leaves.
- These are blooming on small plants with 3’ long umbellate flowers heavily spotted with red-maroon, with a red-purple lip.
- When conditions are favorable the plant produces a single, thick stem that contains hundreds of yellow umbellate flowers producing numerous seeds per umbellate.
Pronunciation: /ˈəmbəlit/ /-ˌlāt/ /ˌəmˈbelit/adjective
Words that rhyme with umbelbumble, crumble, fumble, grumble, humble, jumble, mumble, rough-and-tumble, rumble, scumble, stumble, tumble
Definition of umbel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan