- 1 another term for stone pine.More example sentences
- Carter is a great believer in the Italian cypress (Cupressus sempervirens stricta), found all over Tuscany, and the umbrella pine, its constant companion.
- The vegetation, especially the characteristic umbrella pine set before the beautiful bay, indelibly marks the Mediterranean location.
- A beautiful umbrella pine is silhouetted against a yellow sky, and the bay indicates human presence with several jetties.
- 2A tall Japanese evergreen conifer related to the redwoods, with leaves growing in umbrellalike whorls.
More example sentences
- Sciadopitys verticillata, family Taxodiaceae
- By the later first century AD, many farmsteads were cultivating coriander and opium poppies, and trees such as cherry, plum, and perhaps umbrella pine were grown.
- The town has two great woods of umbrella pines which give welcome shade at midday.
- Japanese umbrella pine is a living relic predating the age of the dinosaurs.
More definitions of umbrella pineDefinition of umbrella pine in:
- The British & World English dictionary