Definition of uncleared in English:
1Not having been cleared or cleared up, in particular.
- By the 11th century, uncleared debris and garbage had raised the level of Rome's streets by as much as 20 feet.
- Furthermore, our aim is to determine how females would appear on a cleared versus an uncleared court.
- This seduction has become a creed among uncleared, anti-secrecy proponents.
1.1(Of a check) not having passed through a clearinghouse and been paid into the payee’s account.
- Even though they may appear immediately on your statement, you may incur interest charges and fees if you draw against uncleared cheques.
- It was supposed to be paid at the beginning of the month, but uncleared cheques meant that it turned up in my inbox several days later - unpaid.
- It can become a holder for value by permitting its customer to draw against an uncleared cheque.
1.2(Of land) not cleared of vegetation before cultivation.
- In 1910 my grandfather moved, with his parents, from rural England to rural Western Australia, where they purchased an area of uncleared land near the wheatbelt town of Wickepin.
- I was fortunate to grow up on the Swan Coastal Plain, near Perth, in the forties and fifties when much of the land was still uncleared.
- If uncleared land is valued less than cleared land (for rating or taxing purposes), there is some incentive to preserve vegetation.
Definition of uncleared in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan