(also under way)
- 1Having started and in progress; being done or carried out: the remodeling should be underway by JulyMore example sentences
- It feels great to get under a hot shower and snuggle in my cozy cabin as the large vessel gets underway.
- There were no guard rails, so working on the decks while underway must have been hazardous.
- 2(Of a boat) moving through the water: the ship was so huge and silent, I hadn’t realized we had gotten underwayMore example sentences
- The project is already underway, with work due to be completed by early next year.
- The public consultation exercise on the new plans is already underway and carries on until November.
- Full details of the project will emerge during the design process which is now underway.
mid 18th century (as a nautical term): from Dutch onderweg.
More definitions of underwayDefinition of underway in:
- The British & World English dictionary