- 1The world of criminals or of organized crime.More example sentences
- It is suggested that an underworld crime figure planned to grab the mother and her child and to demand a six figure sum.
- Detectives hunting a gunman who executed a father-of-three in a gangland murder have appealed to the criminal underworld to help nail the killer.
- Too late they discover that he is an underworld crime lord, and that crossing him results in an inevitable slow and painful death.
- 2The mythical abode of the dead, imagined as being under the earth.More example sentences
- To gain entrance to this forbidden domain she threatened to break down the gates of the underworld, free the dead and devour the living.
- She also guides Persephone to the underworld and back twice a year and thus has a part to play in the seasons.
- During the last six millennia, the hero's journey to the underworld of the dead has been a main part of epic storylines.