1(Of a person or their eyes) not seeing clearly; appearing glazed or expressionless.
- Bearded and black-capped, he avoids our gaze with unfocused eyes.
- Rob rushes up to her as she gazes at him with unfocused eyes.
- Jack's eyes were unfocused, his gaze tossed onto a random spot on the wall.
1.2(Of a lens) not making incident light rays meet at a single point.
- Nevertheless, it should be noted that unfocused light still adds to the total collected fluorescence.
1.3(Of an object of vision) not in focus; indistinct.
- The only misstep in the film is the cinematography, which is fuzzy, often unfocused and fails to take best advantage of the rich natural scenery.
- Due to the slight blur of the line, these images are slightly unfocused and appear more impressionistic since colors and details flow evenly together.
- He sighed and let his lids flutter open, icy blue depths meeting an unfocused cloudless sky blue.
1.4(Of feelings or plans) without a specific aim or direction: my aspirations to write history were real but unfocused
More example sentences
- His rage was unfocused and undirected, and as such he was forcing it to stay inside, if nothing else, to save his composure.
- I swung from blind happiness to almost incandescent, unfocused rage within a second, almost before I had a chance to think about it.
- He delivers emotions other than dull gloominess and unfocused anger, and he does it in style.
Words that rhyme with unfocusedlocust
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of unfocused in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.