Having one cusp or point.
- The p4 is a unicuspid tooth, with the variable presence of a second, anterior root trace.
- These unicuspid teeth are useful for identifying some kinds of shrews.
- The teeth are usually unicuspid, conical, and homodont.
A tooth with a single cusp, especially a canine tooth.
- The 1st and 2nd upper unicuspids are large, the 3rd and 4th smaller and subequal, and the 5th minute.
- Under low magnification, e.g., with a hand lens, the side profile of the pygmy shrew's upper jaw shows only three large unicuspids instead of five typical of the masked shrew.
- Tooth shape ranges from widely spaced and pointy unicuspids in zooplanktivorous and insectivorous species to closely packed and flexible tricuspids in algal scrapers.
Definition of unicuspid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.