Having one cusp or point.
- The p4 is a unicuspid tooth, with the variable presence of a second, anterior root trace.
- These unicuspid teeth are useful for identifying some kinds of shrews.
- The teeth are usually unicuspid, conical, and homodont.
A tooth with a single cusp, especially a canine tooth.
- The 1st and 2nd upper unicuspids are large, the 3rd and 4th smaller and subequal, and the 5th minute.
- Under low magnification, e.g., with a hand lens, the side profile of the pygmy shrew's upper jaw shows only three large unicuspids instead of five typical of the masked shrew.
- Tooth shape ranges from widely spaced and pointy unicuspids in zooplanktivorous and insectivorous species to closely packed and flexible tricuspids in algal scrapers.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of unicuspid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.