Definition of unilateralism in English:
1The process of acting, reaching a decision, or espousing a principle unilaterally.
- The Republican Party has tended strongly to espouse unilateralism in recent years, notably in military and regional policy issue areas.
- He thinks of Europe as being a brake on the ideology of economic unilateralism which is capitalist, conservative and reactionary.
- Europe has the chance of being a barrier against the pensée unique of economic unilateralism: capitalist, conservative, reactionary.
- Example sentences
- It expresses the desire of a section of the Spanish elite to return to Spain's traditional axis in foreign policy as a counterweight to the unilateralist ambitions of US imperialism.
- Most American allies recognize that an isolated, unilateralist superpower makes for a dysfunctional international system.
- Far from entirely rejecting democracy promotion, some conservative unilateralists also argue that the fundamental purpose of US foreign policy is the projection of democratic values.
Definition of unilateralism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.