Definition of unisexual in English:
1(Of an organism) either male or female; not hermaphrodite.
- This means that the unisexual females are actually parasitizing bisexual males of these other species.
- When H. frenatus arrives on an island, the population of the unisexual species plummets.
- Various species may be unisexual, hermaphroditic, or have separate sexes.
1.1 Botany (Of a flower) having either stamens or pistils but not both.
- Plants are characterized as having unisexual flowers and dichotomously forked leaves arranged in crowded whorls.
- The genus has reduced unisexual flowers grouped into characteristic pseudanthia called cyathia.
- They have unisexual flowers, are wind-pollinated, and apparently have a very short and inconspicuous flowering time so that the presence of flowers is easily overlooked.
- Example sentences
- There are also ‘alternative mating systems,’ which include alternative male strategies, hermaphroditism, and unisexuality.
- Rather than being a viewpoint in support of homosexuality, it's more like an argument favoring an androgynous unisexuality that even most gender benders would find unreflective of their lives.
- It is likely that he achieved just the effect he was after here, as audiences are forced to confront in full force not homosexuality but unisexuality.
- Example sentences
- No difference in granuloma formation between naive and P. berghei-immunized animals and between unisexually and bisexually S. mansoni-infected mice was observed.
- Thus, whereas the parental species reproduce sexually, the hybrid reproduces unisexually due to the result of meiotic drive, but still depends on a sexual hang-up.
- With the first guy I mean it unisexually, and the second… femalely.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia