Definition of unpretentious in English:
1Not attempting to impress others with an appearance of greater importance, talent, or culture than is actually possessed.
- This unpretentious book does not attempt to be more than it is - an easy, enjoyable account of a life well lived.
- One lesson he has learnt from his family's wine business is the importance of the unpretentious Two Paddocks name.
- Most importantly, Goin's unpretentious philosophy is reflected in the food she serves at Lucques.
1.1(Of a place) pleasantly simple and functional; modest.
- Welcome to Wine Country Yacht Charters, Napa County's most unpretentious place to relax and drink wine.
- It's a happy, noisy, unpretentious place to eat, where you'll feel equally at home with your mates from uni or your mum and dad on a family night out.
- Winner was also impressed with the unpretentious surroundings and the friendly atmosphere.
- Example sentences
- And whether people came here for comfort, memories or merely to witness what, with remarkable near-timing, proves quietly and unpretentiously to be one of the best line-ups all year, they've long since discovered that they've found it.
- Judge Andrew Smith said: ‘Packed with news, logically and unpretentiously presented, this is a paper that is a pleasure to read.’
- This land is not a marvel for its beauty, but for its endurance, for its ability to persist and support its residents; although littered and disheveled, it is unpretentiously alive.
- Example sentences
- He endeared himself to all of them by his utter sincerity and unpretentiousness, his extreme modesty, his engaging humour…, his faithfulness…
- Although people of various body types identify as bears (the moniker refers to their more-than-passing resemblance to the hirsute forest dwellers), they're all connected by a shared attitude of unpretentiousness and brotherhood.
- There are also qualities about the sport, like unselfishness and unpretentiousness, that distinguish it from flashier rivals’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.