Definition of unpromising in English:
Not giving hope of future success or good results: the boy’s natural intellect had survived in unpromising circumstances
More example sentences
- And people are going to keep using the flag, some to celebrate a heroic past, some to protest an unpromising future.
- Born in Beverley in 1949, his rise to success from distinctly unpromising beginnings is an inspiration to other young artists.
- But if the premise is unpromising, the result is utterly engrossing.
- Example sentences
- The book starts unpromisingly: ‘Despite all the interviews, reviews and analysis, The Fall still defies explanation.’
- Our initial meeting begins unpromisingly with an apology: ‘Erm, I've just got to go and write down a few ideas I was thinking of on the way over here,’ and then he disappears round the corner of the bar to find a quiet spot.
- I don't have a lot of time for any politicians outside of Tony Benn,’ he began, unpromisingly.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.