Definition of unrounded in English:
- Front and central vowels and back low vowels are normally pronounced with the lips unrounded.
- The inside upper edge should be left unrounded, so as to prevent the staves from splintering when adzing the barrel.
- For example, the sharp sides defining the bottom surfaces may be left unrounded.
1.1 Phonetics (Of a vowel) pronounced with the lips not rounded.
- On the other hand, in some regions of the US caught and cot are distinct in pronunciation (typically with a rounded vowel in the first and an unrounded vowel in the second).
- In the Russian transliteration, the vowel y is a high back unrounded vowel (not found in English); it's not like English y.
- The resulting vowel is sometimes lightly rounded but more often unrounded, like the stressed vowel of father.
Definition of unrounded in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan