1Not disordered or disarranged: the unruffled waters of the lake
More example sentences
- The high tide and its fish-filled waters lured the grey seal into Arnside bay where it feasted in the shallow water unruffled by the gathering crowds.
- Could I aspire to become a 21st Century Nick, as I looked at the unruffled picture post card water?
- The chain hung straight down from the chock of the bowsprit and although our flags above flickered in the breeze, the water lay unruffled.
1.1(Of a person) not agitated or disturbed; calm.
- I was not aware of any restrictions and so unaware, had a good time unruffled and blithely went on working.
- She remained unruffled, and was similarly nonchalant about the the recent disclosure on the Internet of the true age of a large group of actresses, revealing her to be an old maid.
- ‘The heart still races,’ he insisted, although it has to be said that the great man looked as serenely unruffled by the prospect as ever.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.