Definition of unscholarly in English:
Not showing the learning, reasoning, and attention to detail characteristic of a scholar.
- Since language is primarily a tool for communication for scholars and the unscholarly alike, let the readers comment whether the example given below can be considered to be true Indian English or not.
- It is unfortunate that McCloskey, a supposed scholar, would respond in such an unscholarly fashion.
- He is a serious scholar and a brave man, who is not afraid of making enemies, and has trodden on plenty of scholarly corns as well as a fair number of unscholarly ones.
- ( rare)Example sentences
- They are the cartoons that infest the margins of spelling and arithmetic books, school desk tops, passed notes, and the slips of paper one's teacher confiscates as evidence of one's unscholarliness.
- This latter opinion of his is not infrequently quoted as proof of the unscholarliness of the ‘gap’ theory.
- I apologize to all those real scholars out there for the unscholarliness of what follows.
Definition of unscholarly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.