1(With reference to a lid or other object held in place by a spiral thread) unfasten or be unfastened by twisting: [with object]: Will unscrewed the cap from a metal flask [no object]: the spout usually unscrews or lifts off easily
More example sentences
- Usually they just unscrew and then you can put it back on when you want to use it.
- On top is the filling cap, which simply unscrews allowing you to fill up with the supplied bottle, although you will need to go buy some distilled water.
- Build the house so that the top lifts off or unscrews for easy cleaning.
1.1 [with object] Detach, open, or slacken (something) by removing or loosening the screws holding it in place.
- Remove all doors by unscrewing the hinges from the cabinet.
- I quickly unscrewed the bolts and opened the sewage drain.
- On the new vanity, remove all drawers and take off the doors by unscrewing the hinges from the cabinet.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of unscrew in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.