Not uttered, pronounced, or made to sound.
- An goes before words that start with the vowels a, e, i, o, and u and also before words that start with an unsounded h, as in ‘hourglass’ and ‘honor.’
- No consonant goes unsounded - except of course those shunned by Cockney patois.
- Words are said to be silent when they are unsounded in the pronunciation, though introduced in spelling and writing.
- When they noticed that many shallow earthquakes came from under it, they searched seismograph records for similar earthquake centers in unsounded parts of the oceans.
- No two cartographers, of course, will produce exactly the same set of contours in unsounded portions of the mapped area.
- There have been incidents of grounding where ships have been operating where charts are inadequate and waters unsounded.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan