Definition of unspool in English:
1Unwind from or as if from a spool.
- Much as it pained him, he and a Times staff assistant shredded his notebooks and file folders, unspooled all of his tapes, filled two tall trash cans with the material, and burned it.
- You remember when cassette tapes were all the rage, and occasionally they'd go haywire in your stereo and all the tape would twist up and unspool and pull out of the plastic casing?
- And they won't get unspooled in the machine and jam it up.
1.1(Of a film) be screened.
- My challenge is to try and guess who directed which scenes as the whole mess unspools on my TV.
- They're quite eager to claim the movie as an example of Mr. Southern's brilliance, but as the documentary unspools it becomes apparent that Sellers made up most of his dialogue.
- In the business, it's called rolling news - live footage of a breaking story that unspools before our very eyes.
1.2 [with object] Show (a film).
- Since '67, the Parallèle has unspooled hundreds of thousands of reels of alternative celluloid.
- The directors unspool an awesome collection of vintage propaganda, from footage of the massive performance The East Is Red to placards and radio speeches.
Definition of unspool in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan