Definition of unsupported in English:
1(Of a structure, object, or person) not supported physically: a toddler who can stand unsupported
More example sentences
- During early phases of weapons training, soldiers are taught supported and unsupported prone positions and may be introduced to other positions such as the kneeling position.
- For the assumed boundary, material, and support conditions, the floor system at level two would have been able to support itself over the assumed unsupported area.
- However, it is generally accepted the cause is the sudden whip-like movement of the head, relative to the torso, during a rear crash as the seat is pushed forward at high speed but the unsupported head lags behind.
1.1Not borne out by evidence or facts: the assumption was unsupported by evidence
More example sentences
- A finding of fact which is unsupported by any evidence clearly involves an error of law.
- If on the other hand she is to be regarded merely as making submissions they can bear very little weight as they were unsupported by any evidence (even a witness statement) from the appellant or documents from Colombia.
- The court applied the appropriate legal tests to the evidence and the findings of fact are neither unreasonable nor unsupported by the evidence.
1.2(Of a person or activity) not given financial or other assistance.
- Maria chooses this job to escape a potential life as a single, unsupported mother living in poverty and boredom in her small town.
- The branch PO tells me that the publicity committee is hopeful of landing a sponsor shortly for the upcoming Towns' Cup, which was unsupported financially last season.
- Whilst a sportscotland spokesperson confirmed that Scottish bobsleigh athletes are not ineligible for funding, he is currently financially unsupported.
1.3 Computing (Of a program, language, or device) not having assistance for the user available from a manufacturer or systems manager.
- Not only do we learn something in detail, but it is satisfying to offer Linux users access to previously unsupported devices.
- What happened to the good old days, when we waited for kernel hackers to buy the unsupported laptops first and get them going for the rest of us?
- ‘The unsupported device is likely the useless E-support button on the front of your computer tower,’ he writes.
Definition of unsupported in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan