adjective (untidier, untidiest)
1Not arranged neatly and in order: the place was dreadfully untidy
More example sentences
- Why do we do accumulate, hoard and keep our homes and offices in messy, untidy, disorganized clutter?
- Her influence on the Chancellor has tidied up his life, his chaotically untidy homes and his unflattering clothing.
- He arrives (albeit rarely) at our untidy, chaotic office and literally turns his nose up in distaste at the mess.
1.1(Of a person) not inclined to keep one’s possessions or appearance neat and in order.
- He is white, 6ft tall, slim and of untidy appearance and was wearing a black baseball cap, dark denim jacket and jeans.
- The three men were described as in their twenties, all with dark hair and having a generally untidy appearance.
- If an untidy person is unkempt, why is a tidy person not kempt?
- Example sentences
- The system of colour coding on the sidebars, repeated untidily on the spine, to designate distinctions between architecture, craft and design, may be conceptually tight but is fussily unhelpful to the reader.
- The small fat arms that once clamped round my neck, the sturdy legs with muddy knees, are replaced with long gangling limbs that sprawl untidily, in sharp angles, across my sofa.
- Characteristically it enjoys hanging upside down and motionless from a rough network of silken threads spun untidily in the corners of warm moist rooms, such as boiler rooms.
- Example sentences
- Over-carrying, picking the ball of the ground, rash shooting, frees taken too quickly and players following the ball, instead of holding their positions, all contributed to the untidiness of the proceedings.
- I thought that untidiness and dirtiness were the characteristics of cities in some underdeveloped country of the past, like Calcutta, Bombay, Rio de Janeiro or elsewhere, but not here in Australia.
- Regular vegging out is your most vital survival technique - the universe won't implode if you don't finish your must-do list, and untidiness doesn't compromise your immune system.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.