Definition of uppercut in English:
1A punch delivered with an upward motion and the arm bent.
- He had a good long hard jab, his left hook and left uppercut were devastating punches.
- He moved with impressive grace and skill, angling away from Hernandez's onrushes and countering effectively with uppercuts, straight right hands, and left hooks.
- You hold the gloves and deliver uppercuts, hooks and jabs, taking care to sidestep or duck away from punches.
1.1 Baseball An upward batting stroke, typically resulting in a fly ball.
- He brings the arm back a little and starts to move it upward for the uppercut.
- Hall of Famer Joe Morgan notes that Gonzalez's swing has a natural uppercut to it, allowing him to drive the ball with more authority.
- Beltran sometimes struggles with an uppercut and poor strike-zone judgment.
verb (uppercuts, uppercutting; past and past participle uppercut)[with object] Back to top
Hit with an uppercut.
- She rammed her fist in his stomach, causing him to double over and lifted her javelin horizontally, uppercutting him with it and making him fall to the ground.
- The guy swung and, quick as lightning, Bryce ducked and uppercutted the guy.
- Acting on instinct, he stepped forward and uppercutted the man in the nose.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia