1Change to a higher gear in a motor vehicle.
- Accelerating out of each curve, upshifting toward the next, the Saab's perfectly precise steering, athletically taut suspension and linear, progressive brakes add to enjoyment of the road.
- She hit the first small straight and accelerated hard, upshifting, then braking to send her car sailing through a set of hairpin turns.
- Kim spun her car around quickly and punched the gas, accelerating hard as she upshifted, turning the wheel onto Mountaindale Road, watching as Belial shifted uncomfortably in the racing seat.
A change to a higher gear.
- You'll notice its stiffness most under radical upshifts (more than three gears at time).
- It's much easier to start in 1st gear and upshift through the gears as the bike accelerates.
- It changes down beautifully, but upshifts are either slow or jerky or full of clutch-slip.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of upshift in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.