(Of a person, especially a man) suave, courteous, and refined in manner.
More example sentences
- Educated at one of Shanghai's top universities, he's urbane, articulate in English and works in a foreign law firm.
- It was a terrible thing to say, especially since he is an urbane man.
- He was urbane and charming as, indeed, are most members of the Sri Lankan ruling elite.
mid 16th century (in the sense 'urban'): from French urbain or Latin urbanus (see urban).
- More example sentences
- He replied urbanely, ‘I like to look out for the interests of my friends.
- ‘Perhaps I do, Miss Sommers,’ he said urbanely.
- Shane stepped forward urbanely, and Tal did the same.