Definition of urbanize in English:
Make or become urban in character: [with object]: once an agrarian society, the island has recently been urbanized (as adjective urbanized) urbanized areas
More example sentences
- Finland is a recently urbanised society - Finland used to be predominantly rural until the late 1940s when it became more industrial.
- Japan has been characterized as an affluent and highly mobile and urbanized society, which also appears to be safe and secure.
- He did not initially have that much support among the tribal, recently urbanized populations of the middle to lower Euphrates, such as Kut and Amara.
- Example sentences
- The government's first response to its failure to contain urbanization was to tighten influx control in the 1960s.
- Scotland, Wales, the interior of Ireland, and the Isle of Man had yet to experience significant urbanization.
- Without this background the impact of increasing urbanisation upon the environmental status of the tidal areas would not be possible.
Definition of urbanize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan