- 1(Of a state or situation) requiring immediate action or attention: the situation is far more urgent than politicians are admittingMore example sentences
- Mr. Wright concluded that there was nothing urgent requiring immediate attention.
- The question of professional refereeing is an urgent issue that needs immediate attention.
- These are the urgent issues that need attention, with special reference also to gender.
- 1.1(Of action or an event) done or arranged in response to a pressing or critical situation: she needs urgent treatmentMore example sentences
- I don't think I have anything to do that has an urgent deadline or immediately requires my attention.
- The child required urgent medical attention but did not develop long term adverse effects.
- The temples require urgent restoration by skilled craftsmen who work on heritage structures.
- 1.2(Of a person or their manner) earnest and persistent in response to a pressing situation: an urgent whisper
- More example sentences
- Vans, trucks and station wagons urgently pull up to take away their quota of papers on time.
- As the old hall has now fallen into disrepair a new facility is urgently needed.
- They urgently need parents from both schools to help form a rota system to dispose of this waste.
late 15th century: from Old French, from Latin urgent- 'pressing, driving', from the verb urgere (see urge).