- A rash of round, red welts on the skin that itch intensely, sometimes with dangerous swelling, caused by an allergic reaction, typically to specific foods. Also called nettlerash or hives.More example sentences
- At each interview, subjects were asked about the occurrence of allergic rhinitis, urticaria, eczema, asthma attacks, or asthmalike breathing problems in the last 12 months.
- Histamine, which is released by mast cells in persons with urticaria and other allergic reactions, classically is associated with pruritus.
- Symptoms can vary from mild reactions, such as urticaria, hay fever, and allergic conjunctivitis, to asthma and, in rare cases, anaphylaxis.
late 18th century: modern Latin, from Latin urtica 'nettle', from urere 'to burn'.
More definitions of urticariaDefinition of urticaria in:
- The British & World English dictionary