1The action of using something or the fact of being used: a survey of water usage the usage of equipment
More example sentences
- The high level of car usage and the fact the number of large trucks has never been greater also acts as a disincentive to switch to pedal power.
- Finally, there must be a charge on sewage and water based on usage.
- This resulted in reduced water usage and a significant increase in recycling.
use, utilization, operation, manipulation, running, handling
1.1The way in which a word or phrase is normally and correctly used.
- In everyday, non-technical usage the words have much the same meaning.
- In general usage, it is a word associated with emphasis, significance, tension, and strain.
- This usage of the word ‘primitive’ is now much less common and no longer has derogatory implications.
phraseology, parlance, idiom, way of speaking/writing, mode of expression, style;
1.2Habitual or customary practice, especially as creating a right, obligation, or standard.
- The Board shall make its decision with regard to the custom and usage of the insurance and reinsurance business.
- Was there a custom or usage of the ports in Chile that cargo could be delivered without presentation of a bill of landing?
- It was not suggested that usage and custom in this context were other than synonymous.
custom, practice, habit, tradition, convention, rule, observance;
way, procedure, form, wont
Middle English (in the sense 'customary practice'): from Old French, from us 'a use' (see use).
Words that rhyme with usagemisusage
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.