1Relating to the United States: the Usonian city
More example sentences
- Only in freedom can we build the Usonian city.
1.1Relating to or denoting the style of buildings designed in the 1930s by Frank Lloyd Wright, characterized by inexpensive construction and flat roofs.
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian houses are of a scale that you can live in.
- This descendant of Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian houses became ubiquitous across the post World War II landscape, and architects adore its open, one-story plan.
- Although Wright later designed several Usonian buildings in Ohio, the Westcott House in Springfield is his only prairie-style house in the state.
1A native or inhabitant of the United States.
- She is one of the second generation Usonians who moved back with her own family eight years ago.
- Forty per cent of Usonians speak Spanish as a native language, not to mention the many who speak it as a second language.
- Well, as a Usonian, I don't recognize 0 as an age.
1.1A house built in the 1930s by Frank Lloyd Wright.
- The Penfield House was built in 1955 for $25,000 and is one of Wright's ‘Usonians.’
- In contrast to other common styles of the time, Wright's Usonians were easily recognizable.
- When referring to low cost Usonians you really have to focus on the late 1930s. Labor was cheap then and elaborate craftsmanship easily affordable.
Early 20th century: an acronym from United States + -onian after Amazonian, Devonian, etc..
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Usonian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.