Definition of vague in English:
- There is certainly a need for change, but these plans at present are vague, confusing and uncertain.
- The news is uncertain, the details clouded and vague, and the truth behind the fact is elusive.
- Even so the allegations were so vague they would have been impossible to defend.
- The party has been vague and woolly with regard to the treaty settlement process up until now.
- Someone might reply that my explanation is vague and approximate.
- The problem is that talk of the interests of justice is very vague and very general.
- Example sentences
- But the book, which is based on various lectures, is undermined by a maddening vagueness.
- The report is also critical of road safety education because of its lack of prominence, vagueness and poor training for teachers.
- The vagueness of privacy as a legal term is striking when it is contrasted with a clearer, more established term such as private property.
- Example sentences
- It's not without its flaws, but being vaguish isn't one of them.
- I have this vaguish recollection of a friend asking me this question once about 10 years ago.
- Is it just too vaguish or long winded for such efforts to be considered worthwhile on your part?
Mid 16th century: from French, or from Latin vagus 'wandering, uncertain'.
A number of English words descend from Latin vagari ‘to wander’ and vagus ‘wandering’. In the 16th century vague applied the idea of a ‘wandering’ mind to someone who cannot think or communicate clearly. A vagabond (Middle English) was originally just a vagrant (Late Middle English), someone who roams from place to place without a settled home, until it acquired the additional suggestion of ‘an unprincipled or dishonest man’. Before it came to refer to impulsive changes or whims, as in ‘the vagaries of fashion’, vagary (late 16th century) was used to mean ‘to wander’.
Words that rhyme with vagueCraig, Hague, Haig, plague, taig
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.