Definition of valet in English:
- These butlers, footmen, valets, drivers, personal assistants, and bodyguards knew where the bodies lay.
- I have no idea how the others manage to take such personal attentions for granted, to the point that they can't function without their personal maids and valets.
- While waiting for his trial, Galileo was housed in a luxurious apartment overlooking the Vatican gardens and provided with a personal valet.
- Also in the kit is information on the new valet unpack service, providing added assistance in the unpacking of boxes.
- At the hotel, the bellman should get $2 per bag carried and a concierge or a valet should get at least $2 per service.
- Their duties include acting as valets for male guests.
- The user then unfolds the arm extensions of the hanger and the valet is ready for use.
- She took his jacket from his shoulders and turned to hang it on the valet.
- After wearing a suit or jacket, I normally hang it on the valet overnight to get rid of any wrinkles and to air out the fabric.
- However, in Los Angeles, even the most ordinary mid-range restaurant will happily employ a valet service to park your car and bring it back round to the front door for you, to coincide with your departure.
- A valet recently refused to park her Land Rover because it was a complete mess.
- When the valets park your car in a covered spot, the fee is the same as uncovered.
verb(valets, valeting, valeted) [with object] Back to top
Rich men who could afford to employ a valet to look after their clothes had to be careful that he was also not a varlet (mid 16th century), ‘an unprincipled man’, as the words are essentially the same. French valet ‘attendant’ and its early variant varlet are related to vassal (Late Middle English), from medieval Latin vassallus ‘retainer’, which derived from a Celtic word. The first valets were 15th-century footmen who acted as attendants on a horseman.
Words that rhyme with valetmallet, palette, pallet
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.