Possessing or showing courage or determination: she made a valiant effort to hold her anger in check a valiant warrior
More example sentences
- I have to say we made a valiant effort - after each set back we picked ourselves up, brushed the dirt of our knees and skated on.
- Bruno loves Sonia and makes a valiant effort to make her happy once again.
- The singer feigns ignorance, and makes a valiant if contradictory effort to keep up appearances.
Middle English (also in the sense 'robust, well-built'): from Old French vailant, based on Latin valere 'be strong'.
- More example sentences
- As children, some of us may once have enjoyed the idea of going out in a blaze of glory in a war or a western, or while valiantly attempting some heroic deed or feat.
- He was also a man of courage, and in his last years valiantly fought the illness that would kill him.
- His neighbour had valiantly attempted to douse the fire.