Definition of vallecula in English:
noun (plural valleculae-ˌlē-ˌlī)Anatomy & Botany
A groove or furrow.
- Double swallow to clear residue in the valleculae.
- In normal persons, small amounts of food are commonly retained in the valleculae or pyriform sinus after swallowing.
- Eight different bones from Australian species of fish and a king prawn shell were selected and each was positioned individually in the tonsil, vallecula and piriform fossa.
- Example sentences
- External to the vascular bundles is another set of canals, the vallecular canals or cortical canals.
- The gross impression was of laryngeal vallecular cyst of saccular type.
- Between the anterior surface of the epiglottis and the posterior surface of the tongue are the vallecular fossae separated by a glossoepiglottic fold.
Definition of vallecula in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan