Definition of vallecula in English:
noun (plural valleculae-ˌlē-ˌlī)Anatomy & Botany
A groove or furrow.
- Double swallow to clear residue in the valleculae.
- In normal persons, small amounts of food are commonly retained in the valleculae or pyriform sinus after swallowing.
- Eight different bones from Australian species of fish and a king prawn shell were selected and each was positioned individually in the tonsil, vallecula and piriform fossa.
- Example sentences
- External to the vascular bundles is another set of canals, the vallecular canals or cortical canals.
- The gross impression was of laryngeal vallecular cyst of saccular type.
- Between the anterior surface of the epiglottis and the posterior surface of the tongue are the vallecular fossae separated by a glossoepiglottic fold.
Definition of vallecula in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.