Definition of valproic acid in English:
A synthetic crystalline compound with anticonvulsant properties, used (generally as salts) in the treatment of epilepsy.
- Alternative name: 2-propylpentanoic acid; chemical formula: C7H15COOH
- The researchers gave their subjects valproic acid, an epilepsy drug, because it also happens to inhibit an enzyme that allows the AIDS virus to live in dormancy among its host's cells.
- In May of 1995, the Food and Drug Administration approved the use of valproic acid for treatment of the manic episodes associated with bipolar disorder.
- Women with epilepsy who have taken the drug valproic acid to control seizures may have an increased risk of having a baby with spina bifida.
Definition of valproic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.