- (Of sepals or other parts) having adjacent edges abutting rather than overlapping. Compare with imbricate.More example sentences
- Terminal buds bear imbricate, scaly buds except in the bitternut hickory which has valvate or foliate buds.
- The flowers display valvate, distinct, or connate sepals and petals.
- If buds are present, it is easy to distinguish the valvate, bright yellow buds of Carya cordiformis from the other Carya species, which have ovate buds with overlapping brown scales.
early 19th century: from Latin valvatus 'having folding doors', from valva 'valve'.
More definitions of valvateDefinition of valvate in:
- The British & World English dictionary