- A machine devised to produce a high voltage by means of an endless belt collecting electrostatic charge from a source and transferring it to a large isolated metal dome, on which a large charge accumulates.More example sentences
- When connected to the van de Graaff generator, the material inside it will bounce around rapidly
- The massive piece of equipment is, in principle, just a souped-up version of the van de Graaff generators you probably remember from high school physics class.
- A range of accessories are available for our van de Graaff generators, or perhaps you fancy your hand at building one yourself?
1930s: named after Robert Jemison van de Graaff (1901–67), US physicist.
More definitions of van de Graaff generatorDefinition of van de Graaff generator in:
- The British & World English dictionary