- 1Disappear suddenly and completely: Mary vanished without a traceMore example sentences
- I was confident until the moment I took my turn and stood there alone in front of the class, when the lyrics suddenly vanished from my brain.
- Her smile suddenly vanished from her face and she took a step back.
- Her words trailed off to a whisper as she suddenly vanished into nowhere.
- 1.1Gradually cease to exist: the days of the extended family are vanishingMore example sentences
- Adyar Creek is one such open space, which is gradually vanishing from the city map.
- As he put more distance between him and his family, the ache in his bones gradually vanished.
- The US corporate owners won't be needed, and their firms will gradually find their sales drying up, their market share vanishing, and their stock tanking.
- 2 Mathematics Become zero.More example sentences
- In mathematics, a root (or a zero) of a complex-valued function f is a member x of the domain of f such that f(x) vanishes at x.
- There are no non-zero harmonic forms and so by Hodge theory the first Betti number vanishes.
Middle English: shortening of Old French e(s)vaniss-, lengthened stem of e(s)vanir, from Latin evanescere 'die away'.