- A star whose brightness changes, either irregularly or regularly.More example sentences
- Cepheid variable stars tend to be extra bright.
- They'll also be searching for storms on Mars and Jupiter, monitoring active galactic nuclei, and measuring variable stars.
- He discovered the mass-luminosity relationship for stars, he calculated the abundance of hydrogen, and he produced a theory to explain the pulsation of Cepheid variable stars.
More definitions of variable starDefinition of variable star in:
- The British & World English dictionary