- Each of the four Hindu castes, Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaishya, and Shudra.More example sentences
- Hinduism recognises four varnas based on occupation (jati or jat) and ancestry.
- Strictly speaking, class and caste are different social institutions, though castes are often assumed to fit into the four varnas.
- Vedic civilization is based on four varnas (divisions of society), but there are people who do not fit within these four.
Sanskrit, literally 'color, class'.
More definitions of VarnaDefinition of varna in:
- The British & World English dictionary