(also varroa mite)
Definition of varroa in English:
A microscopic mite that is a debilitating parasite of the honeybee, causing loss of honey production.
- Varroa jacobsoni, order (or subclass) Acari
- Among the greatest problems is the varroa mite, a bloodsucking parasite that attacks young and adult honeybees.
- Monthly samples of the fallen varroa showed that the screen insert reduced the mite populations by about 15 percent.
- Earlier this year a dead varroa mite was found in a hive in North Canterbury, prompting a major investigation by MAF and restrictions on the area.
Definition of varroa in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia