Definition of veery in English:
A North American woodland thrush with a brown back and speckled breast.
- Catharus fuscescens, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
- Research in Pennsylvania, New York, and Virginia shows that forest birds like the American redstart, hooded warbler, Kentucky warbler, worm-eating warbler, ovenbird, wood thrush, and veery are all vulnerable to deer overpopulation.
- The wood and hermit thrushes and their cousin the veery have taken a severe hit from the cowbirds, so that they are on the brink of becoming endangered species.
- In the agricultural Midwest, more than 80 percent of the nests of some species - veery, wood thrush, hooded warbler, red-eyed vireo, scarlet tanager, and others - host cowbird eggs.
mid 19th century: perhaps imitative.
Definition of veery in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan