Definition of venous in English:
1Of or relating to a vein or the veins.
- The increase is probably due to raised venous pressure from jugular vein constriction.
- Brain parenchyma from the parietal lobe showed venous congestion, hemorrhage, and diffuse edema.
- A venous Doppler study confirmed venous thrombosis of the deep femoral vein.
1.1Of or relating to the dark red, oxygen-poor blood in the veins and pulmonary artery.
- That made sense as dark red blood is venous, and by then I could see it pooling over the chest drapes.
- The stagnation of venous blood is a phenomenon that appears when the activity of the heart is weak.
- Repetitive contractions of the leg muscles actively pump back the venous blood.
Early 17th century: from Latin venosus 'venous', from vena 'vein'.
Words that rhyme with venousgenus, intravenous, Maecenas, Malvinas, Salinas, Venus
Definition of venous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan