adjectiveAnatomy , Zoology , & Botany
Of, on, or relating to the underside of an animal or plant; abdominal: a ventral nerve cord the ventral part of the head Compare with dorsal.
More example sentences
- The nervous system consists of a lobed dorsal brain and ventral nerve cord with fused paired ganglia.
- If either of these proteins is absent, then the motor axons select dorsal and ventral pathways randomly.
- The dorsal and ventral edges of the centra are more nearly equal in width in the larger specimens.
- Example sentences
- In insects, as in all arthropods, the main nerve cord lies ventrally, rather than dorsally as in vertebrates.
- In multiple-male matings, males amplex females dorsally, ventrally, and dorsolaterally.
- Adult plumage is blue-black or gray dorsally and white ventrally, sometimes with distinctive coloring or plumes on the head.
Words that rhyme with ventralcentral, epicentral
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.