- 1A hollow part or cavity in an organ, in particular.More example sentences
- It communicated with the left ventricle through an orifice surrounded by pearly endocardial plaque.
- As the impulse travels down the bundles, the ventricles contract and the cycle repeats itself.
- 1.1Each of the two main chambers of the heart, left and right.More example sentences
- After passing to the left ventricle through the mitral valve, blood goes to the aorta.
- In chickens, the right ventricle of the heart enlarges and can't pump blood efficiently to the lungs.
- Blood flows from the right atrium to the right ventricle through the tricuspid valve.
- 1.2Each of the four connected fluid-filled cavities in the center of the brain.More example sentences
- The subarachnoid space is continuous with the cavities of the cerebral ventricles.
- There was no definite plane between the tumor and the floor of the fourth ventricle.
- The fourth ventricle is between the pons and cerebellum.
- More example sentences
- In addition, the right coronary artery occasionally supplies a sizeable portion of left ventricular myocardium.
- In patients with good left ventricular function and no coronary artery disease, flecainide and propafenone can be used.
- Evidence of pulmonary hypertension and right ventricular enlargement is often present.
late Middle English: from Latin ventriculus, diminutive of venter 'belly'.
More definitions of ventricleDefinition of ventricle in:
- The British & World English dictionary