Definition of ventricle in English:
1.1Each of the two main chambers of the heart, left and right.
- After passing to the left ventricle through the mitral valve, blood goes to the aorta.
- In chickens, the right ventricle of the heart enlarges and can't pump blood efficiently to the lungs.
- Blood flows from the right atrium to the right ventricle through the tricuspid valve.
1.2Each of the four connected fluid-filled cavities in the center of the brain.
- The subarachnoid space is continuous with the cavities of the cerebral ventricles.
- There was no definite plane between the tumor and the floor of the fourth ventricle.
- The fourth ventricle is between the pons and cerebellum.
- Example sentences
- In addition, the right coronary artery occasionally supplies a sizeable portion of left ventricular myocardium.
- In patients with good left ventricular function and no coronary artery disease, flecainide and propafenone can be used.
- Evidence of pulmonary hypertension and right ventricular enlargement is often present.
Late Middle English: from Latin ventriculus, diminutive of venter 'belly'.
Words that rhyme with ventricleelectrical
Definition of ventricle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.