A roofed platform along the outside of a house, level with the ground floor.
More example sentences
- Meals are served in the house, on the veranda, or on mats placed on the ground outside the house.
- It is further supported by ‘front-of-house’ outdoor living spaces such as porches, verandahs, and courtyards.
- Meet me outside on the veranda when you finish eating, please.
early 18th century: from Hindi varaṇḍā, from Portuguese varanda 'railing, balustrade'.
- More example sentences
- Was there really a market, even in Sri Lanka, for a genuine, galleried, verandahed and slightly dog-eared, colonial hotel?
- When not flying, the Lancers frequented the game tables in their verandaed ops shack north of Wing.
- The street they walk along is open on the left hand side with verandahed shops on the other side.