Definition of verdin in English:
A small songbird with a gray body and yellowish head, found in the semideserts of southwestern North America.
- Auriparus flaviceps, family Remizidae
- It was the head of a verdin, an extreme southwestern species that hops around in the trees, searching for insects to eat.
- Hummingbirds and verdins sip nectar from flowers in late spring and summer; several birds and rodents eat the seeds in late summer and fall.
- The verdins have been doing their best to hover at the feeding holes.
Late 19th century: from French, literally 'yellowhammer'.
Definition of verdin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.