Definition of verdin in English:
A small songbird with a gray body and yellowish head, found in the semideserts of southwestern North America.
- Auriparus flaviceps, family Remizidae
- It was the head of a verdin, an extreme southwestern species that hops around in the trees, searching for insects to eat.
- Hummingbirds and verdins sip nectar from flowers in late spring and summer; several birds and rodents eat the seeds in late summer and fall.
- The verdins have been doing their best to hover at the feeding holes.
late 19th century: from French, literally 'yellowhammer'.
Definition of verdin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan