Definition of vergence in English:
1 Physiology The simultaneous movement of the pupils of the eyes toward or away from one another during focusing.
- In doing so, they perform saccadic movements, smooth pursuit movements, vergence movements, vestibular movements, and accommodation.
- Pure vergence movements, uncontaminated by saccades, occur when changing gaze between two targets, both lying straight ahead, but at different distances.
2 Geology The direction in which a fold is inclined or overturned: a zone of opposing fold vergence
More example sentences
- Fold and cleavage vergence varies across the domain, from SE through neutral to NW, although a majority verge SE.
- Major and minor folds with clear vergence relationships change their sense around the Rhoscolyn Anticline.
- A foreland fold-thrust belt with a southwestward vergence formed south of the Mazar-Kangxiwar fault.
Definition of vergence in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan