(also vervet monkey)
Definition of vervet in English:
A common African guenon with greenish-brown upper parts and a black face. Compare with green monkey, grivet.
- Cercopithecus aethiops, family Cercopithecidae, in particular the race C. a. pygerythrus of southern and eastern Africa
- Among the monkeys species found in East Africa are the blue or syke monkey, the vervet monkey and the colobus monkey.
- A free-ranging vervet monkey, baboon, or macaque recognizes other members of his group as individuals.
- Humans, apparently just like vervets, can't resist observing, memorizing, and uttering distinctions.
Late 19th century: from French, of unknown origin.
Definition of vervet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.